Sunday, April 8, 2007

Tuesdays with Market


Athenian Inn - This place was everything I'd hoped it would be and more. It was Saturday afternoon and I was looking for a place to take an out-of-town guest. She wanted breakfast. The Market was packed, despite the drizzle, and we had to fight the tourist hordes as we searched for sustenance. I've had my eye on the Athenian Inn for sometime. But I felt like I couldn't take a visitor to a restaurant featured in Sleepless in Seattle without feeling super cheesy. So first we tried a divey back of the market spot, but it had stopped serving breakfast. Then we went for the chi chi French bakery, but we couldn't get a table. Finally, I said, "Hey, how would you feel about a diner featured in Sleepless in Seattle?" "Great," she said, "I just want somewhere I can sit down." I worried the Athenian would be overrun with tourists but, instead, we were greeted by an extremely chipper server and a sign that said "Breakfast Served All Day." He immediately took us to an upstairs table overlooking Elliott Bay and handed us thick menus with pages of omelets and waffles. We thought we'd died and gone to heaven. My brunch companion ordered the waffle breakfast and I got the special Greek omelet. It was filled with feta cheese and gyro meat, accompanied by a generous serving of hashbrowns and sourdough toast. It was unbelievably fluffy and way more than I could eat. It was fantastic. The Athenian has it all: good food, good prices, a great view, and breakfast served all day. It doesn't even feel touristy, if you can ignore the picture of Tom Hanks in the front window.

No comments:

Blog Archive