Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Culinary Bibliography

One goal for this summer is to come up with a culinary bibliography for my students, since I discovered the other day when asking for a vote on which "food movie" to watch for an end of year party that most students had not seen most films. I have long understood that many students do not read food lit, either. They are largely ignorant of your MFK Fishers and your Elizabeth Davids. As a big old book geek this hurts my feelings. I've decided to do something about it, and want to solicit any suggestions from readers of this blog. It could be anything- movies, books, magazines, blogs, newspapers or columnists, journals, anthologies, documentaries, television programs, or just about any published or produced work related in some way to food or eating.

Any recommendations? Shoot 'em this way any time over the next several weeks. Gratzi!

5 comments:

Kirstin said...

A Taste of Paradise, Tasting Food, Tasting Freedom, by Sidney Mintz, Jay McInerney's wine books....

paul said...

awesome, never heard of any of those!

Sara said...

What a great idea! Down the hall we friendly librarians just got Big Night in - it's still uncataloged, but I think we can work something out for you, if you want to show it this quarter. I have some other ideas too - let me know once you've gathered your list so we can compare notes and order what you like!

Kirstin said...

And anything by Jeffrey Steingarten. OK, I'm done!

Michael @ Herbivoracious.com said...

The autobiographies from Pierre Franey and Jacques Pepin are great - they are a real look in at a critical time in our culinary history when French food was crossing the Atlantic. Also how about the Ruth Reichl books? Oh and AJ Liebling's An Appetite for Paris. I'll try and remember to look at my shelf at home...

Blog Archive